Spices are expensive. I am always looking for ways to save money, specially when I am going to be using a good bit of it. I found myself going through pickling spice. I use it for my pickles, and pickled eggs and sausage. So I wanted to start making my own. Hope it helps you to save some money. Remember you can adjust for your taste.
- 4 tablespoons of whole mustard seed
- 1 tablespoon of allspice
- 4 teaspoons of coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (or leave it out)
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 12 whole cloves
- crushed bay leaves (optional)
Put all the ingredients in a bowl and mix.
Many pickling spices call for bay leaves. I don’t use it in mine, but you are more than welcome to add it to yours. Just crumble it up and add it in.